Why you’ll love this air fryer butternut squash recipe
- The squash cubes are coated with a touch of maple syrup and paired with the perfect mix of seasonings.
- You get tender on the inside, caramelized on the outside squash that is the perfect savory side dish.
- The cubes cook fast in the air fryer – only about 25-30 minutes (quicker if you cut them small).
- Butternut squash cubes are a healthy side dish and pair with any kind of protein!
Related ->> Easy Oven-Baked Butternut Squash Fries
How to make air fryer butternut squash (step-by-step)
Tips for cooking butternut squash in the air fryer
- Try to cut the cubes into the same size (as much as possible) for even cooking.
- Leave a little space between each cube to let the air circulate. Cook in batches if needed.
- If you want the cubes to cook quicker, you can cut them smaller.
- Watch the squash carefully at the end of the cooking time to prevent burning. You want the pieces a little caramelized but not blackened.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Don’t forget to leave a quick star rating and review below, we read every comment and truly appreciate your feedback. Also, be sure to browse the rest of our delicious air fryer recipes to find some other favorites too!
Tender, Caramelized Air Fryer Butternut Squash Cubes
For the seasoning:
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Make the seasoning by combining the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl or ramekin and mixing.
- To prepare the squash, cut off the stem from the top and cut a slice from the bottom so it will stand up straight and stable. Then, using a peeler or sharp paring knife, peel the skin off the squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise (from top to bottom) and scoop out the seeds. Cut the squash into 1-inch cubes and place cubes in a bowl.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit. Even if it doesn't have a preheat function, preheat it for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle the olive oil and maple syrup over the squash cubes and toss to coat. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the cubes and toss to mix in the seasoning and evenly coat the cubes.
- Dump the butternut squash cubes into the air fryer basket and spread them out in a single, even layer. You don't want any cubes stacked and ideally they have a little space around each cube. Cook in batches if needed.
- Air fry for 25-30 minutes, removing the basket to gently stir the squash cubes after 15 minutes. Cook until the squash is fork tender and getting caramelized around the edges. Watch it carefully after about 20 minutes to prevent burning. Serve immediately.