As the seasons change and we shift into fall, soups and stews start to sound more and more delicious. There is something comforting and warming about a good chili, and we love this Paleo squash chili because it is full of fall flavors, textures and colors.
Fall: The Beginning Of Winter Squash Season
As soon as winter squash hit the markets, we are all about adding it to much of our cooking! We love winter squash, and for me, it is a great alternative to potatoes, especially sweet potatoes, since I have a potato intolerance. My intolerance feels pretty unfortunate during the summer when the primary alternative is plantains, and they are hit or miss at the grocery store.
So, if you see me at the grocery store this fall, I will be stocking up and probably have a cart or basket full of squash. There will be a few delicata because I think you should just probably have at least a couple on hand at all times when they are in season. Then, I definitely need butternut and spaghetti squashes too, because you never know when you might want to whip up a hash or a casserole.
Just Put Squash In It
Adding squash to chili like we have in this Paleo squash chili is just so delicious. It adds a little tender sweetness and another layer of texture combined with the peppers, onions and tomatoes. Plus, it is way more friendly on your stomach than legumes. So, just put squash in it instead of the beans. You’ll get your fiber, and feel satisfied without the bloat. You will also love the chunky texture and mildly spicy flavors. They will keep you warm and cozy all fall and winter!
Your Turn To Try Our Paleo Squash Chili
Quickly prep the ingredients for this Paleo squash chili and make a batch to savor this week. It will only take you about 30 minutes, and you’ll be enjoying a warming meal. Let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below. Take a photo and tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood, so we can check it out!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? CLICK HERE TO PIN IT AND TRY IT LATER!
Paleo Squash Chili (Whole30, Dairy-Free + Bean-Free)
- 28 oz canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 delicata squash, cubed
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 batch chili seasoning (see below)
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Start by prepping all of the ingredients as indicated in the ingredient list above.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, squash, onion and bell pepper to the pot. Cover and let cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef. Break beef into small bits and cook until browned.
- While ground beef is cooking, prepare chili seasoning. When beef is almost fully cooked, stir in chili seasoning.
- After 20 minutes, add cooked ground beef to soup pot. Turn the heat down to low, and simmer covered for 5 more minutes.
- Ladle chili into bowls, garnish with green onion and serve.