As the days continue to get colder and fall creeps toward winter, nothing sounds better than a hot bowl of soup, stew or chili. We find ourselves using our crockpot a lot during this time of year, and one of our new favorites is this white chicken chili. It’s super convenient because we just throw all of the ingredients in the crockpot in the morning and come home to a warm meal and wonderful smelling house in the evening.
We like to use chicken thighs for this recipe because they provide some added flavor and shred easily once cooked. Just combine the thighs with some parsnips, peppers, onion or leek, garlic and a double batch of our taco seasoning and you’re all set for this easy crockpot dinner.
Of course, what’s chili without the toppings? Get creative with the toppings and add in your favorites. We like tomatoes, onions, cilantro, olives, avocado and hot sauce. Oh, we also like to dip into this white chicken chili with some crispy plantain chips. What are your favorite toppings?
If you make this, we’d love to hear what you think about it. Leave a comment and rating below and don’t forget to take a picture and tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood so we can find it!
White Chicken Chili
For the taco seasoning:
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
For the chili:
- 3 lbs organic boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can green chilies
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced into small cubes
- 1 adobo pepper, seeded and diced (or sub green pepper)
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 avocados, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, diced
- Add all of the taco seasoning ingredients to a small bowl and mix well, set aside.
- Add the chicken to the bottom of the crockpot and add in the remaining ingredients except the chicken stock on top of the chicken in the order shown.
- Next, sprinkle the taco seasoning over all the ingredients in the crockpot.
- Pour in the chicken stock around the chicken and set the crockpot to cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Once cooked, use two forks to mix everything together and shred the chicken. It should shred easily simply by mixing it around with the forks.
- Chop toppings as noted. Serve chili topped with tomato, avocado and cilantro.