Breakfast is our jam! Well, it is mostly Justin’s jam (unless we are talking pancakes – then it’s totally my jam!), and I just get to do a lot of taste testing and eating up all the goodness! This chorizo breakfast hash is as flavorful and hearty as they come!
Chorizo – What It Is And Where To Find It
Chorizo is a Spanish pork sausage, and it gets its flavor from dried smoked red peppers. My step-dad loves it, and I can remember him making it when I was younger. It is a little fattier than regular pork sausage, and given its smoky flavor it is often used to add flavor to dishes. We found clean, sugar-free pork chorizo sausage at our local Natural Grocers that we used in this recipe. You can find the store nearest you using their store locations page. You can also order clean bison chorizo sausage online at US Wellness Meats.
Chorizo For Breakfast
In this chorizo breakfast hash, it adds a little bit of a smokiness and extra flavor to the potatoes and spinach. It makes for a tasty combo of protein, fat, carbs and greens. You’ll leave breakfast feeling satisfied and ready to take on your day! One item of note is that you can substitute the yukon potatoes for red, regular white, or sweet potatoes or even plantains. You know we love pork and plantains!
30 Minute Paleo Meals
Have you checked out our new eCookbook 30 Minute Paleo Meals yet? If not, what are you waiting for? Here’s a preview of what’s in the cookbook:
- 30 quick and easy Paleo recipes that can be made in 30 minutes or less and have 7 ingredients or less;
- Each recipe is designed to be an entire meal (not just a featured chicken or fish recipe);
- A variety of main dishes including chicken, beef, pork, seafood, and breakfast recipes;
- Full-color photos of each recipe on every page for inspiration;
- A linked table of contents so you can jump directly to any recipe; and
- A print-friendly version of each recipe without the photo.
Your Turn to Try This Chorizo Breakfast Hash
Figure out where you can get some chorizo made with clean ingredients, like Natural Grocers or US Wellness Meats, and make this chorizo breakfast hash! Let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below. Also, take a photo and tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood, so we can check it out!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? CLICK HERE TO PIN IT AND TRY IT LATER!
- 1 lb small red or yukon gold potatoes, diced into small cubes (or substitute 1 small white or sweet potato if desired)
- 1.5 lbs sugar-free ground chorizo
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, stem and seeds removed and sliced into strips
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 6 cups spinach
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Optional toppings: avocado, salsa, cilantro
Cut up potatoes and heat a large pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp avocado oil. Once hot, add potatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown and tender, about 8 minutes.
While potatoes are cooking, cut up garlic, onion, and bell pepper.
Once potatoes are cooked, remove from skillet and set aside.
In the same pan add in chorizo, garlic, and onion. Stir everything together well and cook until the chorizo is browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Add in bell pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add cooked potatoes and spinach to the pan and mix to incorporate. Cook until spinach wilts, about 1 minute.
Create small divots in the hash for the eggs. Crack eggs into the divots and cover the pan. For over easy eggs, cook until the egg whites turn completely white but the yolk is still soft, about 4-5 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook eggs in a separate pan. Serve hash with eggs and any optional toppings.