A delicious creamy breakfast hashbrown casserole that’s dairy-free and filled with onions and all natural sausage, what’s not to love with this one? It’s an easy recipe that uses frozen shredded potatoes (hash browns), and no sugar sausage links, so you’ll make enough to serve a crowd without much work. It’s time to dig into this easy oven baked breakfast casserole!
Disclaimer: We partnered with Jones Dairy Farm to bring you this post. We only work with companies and brands we truly believe in and use ourselves. Therefore, all opinions and recipes are entirely our own. Thank you for supporting Real Simple Good and our partners.
Where do you find Whole30 compliant sausage links?
We are very happy to be partnering with Jones Dairy Farm for this post to share some clean sausage options with you! For this recipe we used their No Sugar All Natural Pork Breakfast Sausage Little Links, which are really tasty. Their all natural line of products contain no artificial ingredients, preservatives, MSG, and are minimally processed.
We love that Jones Dairy Farm is very transparent with their ingredients. The No Sugar All Natural Pork Breakfast Sausage Little Links contain just four simple ingredients: pork, salt, spices and a natural casing. They also have a variety of raw and pre-cooked options for breakfast sausages. Visit the Jones Dairy Farm product locator to find a store near you!
What about Whole30 compliant frozen hashbrowns?
This is a tough one, but there are a couple of options out there. While most frozen shredded potatoes include non-compliant ingredients like dextrose and preservatives, here are a couple that don’t:
Eggs and doing a Whole30
I know that eggs are a popular protein option when doing a Whole30. But what if you can’t eat eggs or are just tired of eating eggs every day for breakfast? Luckily for you, we’ve created a lot of breakfast recipes that will work with or without eggs. We’ve even rounded up a list of 30 Whole30 breakfasts without eggs. You can add this new breakfast hashbrown casserole recipe to the list!
Some other egg-optional breakfast recipes
- EASY CHORIZO HASH (PALEO + WHOLE30)
- SHEET PAN BREAKFAST BAKE
- HOMEMADE COUNTRY BREAKFAST SAUSAGE RECIPE (PALEO, WHOLE30 + KETO)
- LEFTOVER PULLED PORK HASH (PALEO, WHOLE30)
- BREAKFAST MEATLOAF (PALEO, WHOLE30 + KETO)
Your turn to try this creamy sausage and hashbrown casserole
If you’re looking for a healthy brunch recipe to feed a crowd or just want to try a new egg-free Whole30 breakfast recipe, give this casserole a try! Leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood. We love to see what you are cooking!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Breakfast Hashbrown Casserole (Paleo + Whole30)
For the casserole:
- 2 tbsp ghee, (sub avocado or other oil for dairy free)
- 2 lbs frozen shredded potatoes
- 1 package No Sugar All Natural Pork Breakfast Sausage Little Links, thawed
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups spinach, roughly chopped, (can sub kale or other greens)
- Chopped chives, (optional topping)
For the creamy sauce:
- 1 cup chicken broth, (or beef broth)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, diced, (about 3-4 leaves) (or sub 2 tsp dried sage)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit and grease a 9×13 baking dish with ghee.
- Spread the shredded potatoes (hash browns) out in the baking dish. Place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes start to bake, prepare onion and spinach as noted and make the sauce.
- To make the sauce, place all of the sauce ingredients in a high powered blender. Blend until smooth and creamy and set aside.
- After the potatoes have cooked for 10 minutes, remove the baking dish from the oven. Add the onion and spinach to the dish. Pour the creamy sauce over everything. Using a spoon or spatula, mix the ingredients together so the sauce mixes in with everything.
- Add the sausage links on top of the casserole. Place back into the oven to bake for 20 minutes. If desired, turn the oven to broil for the last 3-4 minutes to brown the top of the sausages.
- Remove from the oven and top with diced chives (optional). Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy.
Do you cook the onions and or spinach before putting it on top of the hash browns?
Nope, they cook in the oven for 20 minutes after adding them in. Enjoy!
I made this for this week’s breakfast’s, what an amazing dish. Simple to prepare as well. The only thing I changed was using bulk sausage in lieu of links…came out really good. Will be trying many more of your recipes. Thanks for all the Whole 30/Paleo recipes…they really help with meal prep variety.
You’re very welcome, glad you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for coming back to leave a rating and review, we really appreciate it 🙂
This looks really yummy, but we can’t have the yeast or nuts. Do you think anything else would be a good Substitute?
That’s a little tough since the cashews are the base for the sauce. If you can have other nuts besides cashews you could sub either walnuts, almonds or macadamia nuts. Also, the nutritional yeast is an inactive yeast if that helps. Sorry if this one won’t work, but we have other breakfast casseroles in our breakfast category that might!
Delicious! Thank you
You’re welcome, glad you enjoyed this one :).
So glad you liked this one Andrea.