5 reasons you’ll love these burritos
- Only 5 basic ingredients combine to make the perfect warm and gooey burrito stuffed with crispy pork carnitas, rice, beans and melted cheese.
- It’s a flexible recipe that can easily be adapted to suit your tastes with whatever fillings or toppings you choose!
- Perfect for meal prep, make a big batch of burrito ingredients ahead of time and just assemble the burritos and eat when you’re ready.
- Burritos are something the whole family will love, so get your family in the kitchen to help you build these delicious burritos!
- They are great for easy leftovers. Eat them cold or just warm them up quickly in the microwave.
Carnitas – We have a couple of carnitas recipes for you. A classic shredded pork carnitas or this chicken carnitas recipe. But really, any pre-cooked meat would work in these burritos (beef, chicken, pork).
Refried beans – The smooth and creamy texture of refried beans is perfect for these but you could sub black or pinto beans if desired.
Rice – Just plain cooked rice is great, or add in a little cilantro and lime juice to jazz it up.
Tortillas – Use any burrito tortillas you wish, siete foods has large grain free burrito shells that work great if you’re looking for a grain free option.
Tips from an expert home chef
- We love simple recipes, so that’s what you’ll get with these burritos. However, you can add any ingredients or toppings you want to make them all your own!
- You can turn these into wet burritos easily by dumping a can of enchilada sauce over the top of the burritos before putting them in the oven.
- Skip the tortillas if you want and make them into a burrito bowl. Just add some fresh greens and add the burrito ingredients on top.
Some other Mexican-inspired recipes to try
- Mexican Shredded Beef
- The Best (Juicy!) Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Easiest Ever Ground Pork Tacos
- Juicy, Shredded Crockpot Mexican Chicken
If you try this recipe, please share some love!
Don’t forget to leave a quick star rating and review below, we read every comment and truly appreciate your feedback. Also, be sure to browse the rest of our delicious and easy dinner recipes to find some other favorites too!
- 4 burrito tortillas
- 1 can refried beans, (16 oz)
- 3 cups shredded carnitas, (see notes)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and grease a baking dish with oil. Gather all of the carnitas burrito ingredients noted above.
- Spread all of the tortillas out for assembly.
- Spread out refried beans on each tortilla with a spoon, getting it almost to the edges.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients, spreading everything evenly across the burrito tortillas or lining them up separately, whatever is your preference.
- Tuck in the ends of each tortilla and then roll them up like a burrito. Place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes, until heated through. Note: If you are baking the burritos cold from the refrigerator, it will take a little longer, about 30-35 minutes.
- Our chicken carnitas recipe can also be used for these burritos.
- Both the pork and chicken carnitas recipes linked here make large batches. You will have leftovers or plan scale the recipes down as desired. We like to make the carnitas and rice the day before and assemble the burritos the next day.
- You can easily make this a burrito bowl, just add some more romaine (or other greens) as the base for serving and omit the tortilla.
- If you’re doing meal prep, you can make the burritos ahead of time (up to step #5). Then, cover and refrigerate the burritos until you’re ready to bake them.
- If you don’t want to bake the burritos, simply heat up the tortillas, carnitas, beans and rice before assembling the burritos.