Why you’ll love this recipe
- It really is so very easy! Simple ingredients and frozen veggies get tossed in the skillet for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner option.
- This rich and creamy crustless chicken pot pie is healthy comfort food at its best. The flavor is everything you want without all the guilt.
- You can feed a whole family (or crowd)! This recipe makes a big batch and the leftovers hold up well in the fridge and are easy to reheat.
- Chicken – You can use any leftover chicken for this recipe (shredded, rotisserie, canned, etc.) Alternatively, you could cut up and cook chicken quickly on the stovetop.
- Mirepoix – Frozen mirepoix is a mix of chopped carrots, onion and celery. Using this frozen mix makes this recipe super-easy! You can use fresh chopped veggies too.
- Coconut milk – This recipe uses full-fat coconut milk to keep it dairy free, but if you eat dairy it’s fine to use heavy cream instead.
- Tapioca starch – Our preferred grain-free thickener for creamy sauces. You can substitute corn starch or another flour thickener if desired.
Tips from an expert home chef
- Feel free to customize this recipe. If you have turkey instead of chicken, use that! Also, if you want other pot pie veggies you can substitute whatever you wish.
- This is a great meal prep recipe! It’s perfect for leftovers and also freezer friendly, so make a big batch and use it later.
- It’s surprisingly delicious served cold. Use it in place of chicken salad for things like sandwiches, wraps or on top of some greens.
- Add in some fresh herbs. If you have them, a small amount of chopped fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary or parsley) can be a great addition to this recipe.
Other healthy comfort food recipes you’ll love
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Easy Salisbury Steak
- Creamy Garlic Spaghetti Squash Casserole
20-Minute Crustless Chicken Pot Pie (So Easy!)
- 2 tbsp ghee, (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, diced, (about 8 oz)
- 10 oz frozen mirepoix blend, (can sub 2 cups fresh diced onion, carrot and celery)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked chicken, (shredded or cubed)
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour, (can sub corn starch)
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk, (can sub heavy cream)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp ground sage
- Prep garlic and mushrooms as noted. Gather remaining ingredients to have them ready.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in ghee. Once melted, add in the minced garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the frozen mirepoix blend, peas and cooked chicken. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the frozen veggies thaw and soften.
- Measure out the chicken broth and add in tapioca starch. Stir with a whisk to mix well.
- After the veggies have cooked for 5-6 minutes, Pour in the chicken stock mixture into the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
- Add in the coconut milk and stir well to mix.
- Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and sage. Stir well and turn heat down to low. Simmer on low heat until everything reaches a thick, stew-like consistency, about 4-5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.