Go grab some apples, and meet me in the kitchen! Let’s make this cozy, perfectly spiced salted caramel apple crumble. It’s gluten free and vegan!
Disclaimer: We partnered with Bob’s Red Mill to bring you this post. We only work with companies and brands we truly believe in and use ourselves. Therefore, all opinions and recipes are entirely our own. Thank you for supporting The Real Simple Good Life and our partners.
How to make a gluten free apple crumble topping
We love using Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flours in our kitchen. We used their Almond Flour for this recipe to keep it grain free. If you’re less concerned with grains, you could also use their Gluten Free Oat Flour as an alternative gluten free option.
Bob’s Red Mill gluten free baking flours are a pantry staple for us because they are certified gluten free and non-gmo. You’ll see us using their flours in many of our recipes – from sweet treats like our gluten free lemon poppy seed muffins to savory dishes like our creamy Tuscan chicken! We love the quality of their products from mill to table and the fact that they’re a local Oregon company!
Best apples for apple crumble or crisp
Honestly, you can use whatever you like. My favorites are granny smith or honeycrisp. And actually a combination of the two is my ultimate favorite this apple crumble. I like that they both are a little more tart and crunchy. They hold up well to baking without getting overly mushy, and the tartness is a great contrast to the sweet toppings.
Making a dairy free, vegan caramel sauce
The caramel sauce is so velvety and indulgent. And it’s SO easy to make! We made it dairy free by using coconut milk and refined sugar free with coconut sugar. It will only take you about 5 minutes to make in small skillet. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut milk (or another nut milk will do)
- Cashew butter
- Sea salt
More gluten free and vegan desserts
- HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN BANANA MUFFINS
- SOFT + CHEWY VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- GLUTEN FREE HOMEMADE SNICKERDOODLES
- HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE PEAR COBBLER
Want more? Check out all of our gluten free desserts and treats!
Your turn to try this gluten free + vegan salted caramel apple crumble
Add apples to your grocery list, and make this gluten free and vegan salted caramel apple crumble! The whole family will enjoy this cozy dessert.
Leave a star rating and comment below to let us know how it goes! And tag us in your videos and pics on Instagram @realsimplegood so we can check it out! We love to see what you’re making.
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Gluten Free + Vegan Salted Caramel Apple Crumble
For the apple filling:
- 6 cups apples, cored and thinly sliced, (about 6-7 apples; granny smith and/or honeycrisp are my favorite)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the crumble topping:
For the salted caramel drizzle:
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- Sea salt, to taste, (if cashew butter is salted you likely won't need extra salt)
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and grease a 12" skillet or 9×13" pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the apple filling ingredients and toss to coat. Dump the mixture into the greased skillet or pan.
- Using the same bowl (no need to rinse), combine all of the crumble topping ingredients and mix with a fork. Crumble over the top of the apple mixture.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for about 35 minutes, until apples are soft but not mushy.
- When the crumble has about 5 minutes left, make your salted caramel sauce. In a small skillet or sauce pan, add coconut sugar and coconut milk to pan and heat it up, stirring frequently.
- Add cashew butter and sea salt. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and becomes more velvety. You can turn the heat down to low and let it simmer until you are ready to use.
- Once crumble is done in the oven, remove and serve with caramel drizzled on top. It's also delicious with dairy free ice cream on top, too!