Is there really ever a time when Mexican food doesn’t sound good?! I mean really…we have some version of Mexican food every week, and I could have it almost every day probably. This Paleo, Whole30 + Keto Mexican shredded chicken is not only delicious, but also so dang easy to make in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker. This shredded chicken is the perfect meal prep recipe or easy weeknight dinner!
Five minute prep – that’s all!
Whether you are getting your meal prep on, or just need a quick and easy weeknight dinner, this Mexican shredded chicken is calling. It only takes five minutes or less to throw everything in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker, and then let it do it’s thing. Just before the chicken is ready to be shredded, prep the garnish ingredients if you want to use them and then some taco shells, lettuce, cauliflower rice, etc. to go with!
What should I have with this Mexican shredded chicken?
Whatever veggies you have on hand will do! Our favorite ways to eat this shredded chicken are in lettuce or cabbage shells or in a bowl with greens and cauliflower rice. Those options will keep your meal low carb. And if you are just trying to stay Paleo, you can also use some Siete tortillas to make tacos!
Easy does it!
You may have noticed by now, but I’m kind of a lazy cook most of the time. I like tasty, healthy food, but I want to get to the eating part as quick and simply as possible. This Mexican shredded chicken is basically the answer to that quest. With only 5 main ingredients (and one of those is sea salt – so that does that even count?!), this is simplicity at its best! Toss everything in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker, set the timer and step away. It’s that easy!
Some other lazy cook recipes to try
Your turn to try our Mexican shredded chicken
Planning out what to meal prep this coming weekend, or just looking for a super easy weeknight dinner? Make this Mexican shredded chicken! It’s super easy, and the whole family will think it’s great! Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes! Also, take a pic to share in Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood so we can check it out, and we might just share it in our stories. Make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already! We’d love to stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Mexican Shredded Chicken (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (or sub breasts)
- 1 jar salsa verde (12 oz jar; double check ingredients for no sugar added, etc.)
- 1 can green chiles (4 oz can)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped (for garnish)
- cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Place chicken, salsa, green chiles and sea salt in Instant Pot. Secure lid.
- Press the “manual” button (or “pressure cook” button) and set the time to cook for 10 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes and then release any remaining pressure. Remove the lid and shred the chicken in the Instant Pot with two forks, mixing it with the juices.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, greens, in tacos, etc. and top with chopped cilantro and red onion.
For the slow cooker:
- Follow step #1 above. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker with two forks, mixing it with the juices.