Why you’ll love this whole roast chicken in your dutch oven
- With just 4 main ingredients and basic seasonings, you’ll have a homemade meal on the table with minimal effort.
- Only 15 minutes of active prep time, then you let the oven do its thing.
- A full meal in one pot – the veggies go in the bottom of your dutch oven with the chicken on top.
- A great family friendly meal, or perfect for meal prep.
- You’ll cook with your dutch oven uncovered to achieve that crispy skin perfection.
How to make this dutch oven whole chicken
- Spraying the nuggets with a little oil before you cook them will help to get that browned, crispy outer coating.
- Watch the chicken closely as it approaches 165° Fahrenheit, to avoid the skin burning.
- You can use whatever potatoes you prefer – Yukon gold, red potatoes and Japanese sweet potatoes are our favorites.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes on a cutting board once it’s done to lock the juices in before you carve it.
- While the chicken is resting, place the veggies back into the warm oven to keep them warm for serving.
Some other dutch oven recipes you might like
- Tender (Juicy!) Dutch Oven Pot Roast
- Smoky Dutch Oven Chili with Ground Beef
- 6-Ingredient (One-Pot!) Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs and Rice
- Classic, Old Fashioned Dutch Oven Beef Stew
- 10-Minute Prep Dutch Oven Pulled Pork (Juicy & Tender!)
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Don’t forget to leave a quick star rating and review below, we read every comment and truly appreciate your feedback. Also, be sure to browse the rest of our healthy chicken recipes to find some other favorites too!
Super Easy (Juicy!) Dutch Oven Whole Chicken
- 1 4 to 5 pound whole chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into thick slices
- 6 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lb potatoes, cut into similar sized chunks, (any potatoes including sweet potatoes will work, peeled or unpeeled)
For the seasoning:
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Dutch oven
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Adjust the oven racks if needed to accommodate your dutch oven.
- Make the seasoning by combining all of the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl or ramekin and mixing well.
- Prep onion, carrots and potatoes as noted. Place them in a layer at the bottom of your dutch oven.
- Pat the whole chicken dry with paper towels and truss (tie-up) the legs. Place the chicken in the dutch oven on top of the veggies.
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and brush it over the skin to coat both sides of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix all over the chicken. Make sure the chicken is breast side up for cooking.
- Transfer to the oven to cook, uncovered, for 60-90 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165° Fahrenheit in the thickest part of the breast.
- Carefully remove the dutch oven from the oven and turn off the oven. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to rest for at least 10 minutes before carving. Place the veggies back into the warm oven to keep them warm while you carve the chicken. Serve chicken with veggies.