Why you’ll love this easy tomato onion salad
- Simple yet packed with fresh flavors, this salad really lets the fresh ingredients shine.
- The easy dressing is the perfect tangy and garlicky compliment to the fresh tomatoes and crunchy onions.
- It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner side or make it for a summer BBQ side dish.
- The basic recipe is easy to modify with other ingredients to make it any way you wish. See the recipe variations section below.
Related ->> Here’s a roundup of 10 Healthy BBQ Sides
How to make this tomato and red onion salad
- Fresh ingredients really make this salad. Use the freshest tomatoes, onion basil and garlic you can find.
- This salad is best when served right away. Just cut everything, toss it with the dressing and serve.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a few days. If you are using larger tomatoes like heirlooms or beefsteak they may get a little mushy.
- If you modify the recipe to add in more ingredients like cucumbers or carrots, you might want to scale up the dressing a bit to fit the salad.
Tomatoes – Use different kinds of tomatoes to add more texture and color. Any tomatoes work great (heirloom, roma, cherry, etc.).
More crunch – You can easily add more crunch by adding in some sliced cucumbers or chopped carrots.
Herbs – Add in some different herbs of your choice. Thyme, chives, oregano, parsley or lemon balm are all good options.
Topping – If you eat dairy, go ahead and add a little crumbled feta or grated parmesan on top!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Don’t forget to leave a quick star rating and review below, we read every comment and truly appreciate your feedback. Also, be sure to browse the rest of our delicious, healthy recipes to find some other favorites too!
5-Minute Tomato and Onion Salad
- 1 lb tomatoes, sliced into chunks
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped, (can use any fresh herbs and add more or less to taste)
- Slice the tomatoes, onions and herbs and add them to a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, add the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the tomatoes and onions and toss to mix. Serve immediately.