An easy low carb side dish, the flavor of this broccoli cauliflower salad with bacon will amaze you. With a simple aioli dressing that makes it creamy tasting but not too rich, it’s a light and healthy side dish. With fresh and crunchy broccoli and cauliflower florets, bacon bits, red onion and a creamy sauce, what’s not to love about this salad?
Sometimes I have to remind myself that simple is better, especially when it comes to salads and side dishes. When you use fresh, in season ingredients and add a little pop of flavor with a sauce, just a few ingredients will do. In this salad I really just wanted to feature the broccoli and cauliflower and compliment those with some spicy red onion, salty bacon bits and smoky aioli sauce.
Speaking of the sauce…
I started making aioli sauce when I came up with this chipotle aioli recipe and I can’t seem to stop. For this version, I added a little smoked paprika and lemon juice. They give the sauce a smoky, tangy flavor that goes really well with the other crunchy ingredients. If you’re scared about making homemade aioli – don’t be! It takes about 30 seconds with an immersion blender and comes out perfect every time.
It works for meal prep and leftovers too
Most salads with creamy sauces don’t last too long in the fridge, but this broccoli cauliflower salad holds up for 4-5 days. Since it’s a light sauce, the broccoli and cauliflower don’t get “mushy” and retain their crunch. In fact, I think this recipe tastes a little better after sitting in the refrigerator overnight because it allows the flavors to blend completely. Just give the salad a big stir before serving if you make it ahead of time.
More healthy salad recipes
- ASIAN CUCUMBER SALAD (PALEO, WHOLE30 + KETO)
- KETO CHICKEN SALAD (PALEO + WHOLE30)
- CHEESEBURGER SALAD WITH SPECIAL SAUCE (PALEO + KETO)
- HEALTHY EGG SALAD (PALEO, WHOLE30 + KETO) NO MAYO
Your turn to try this creamy broccoli cauliflower salad
Find some fresh ingredients, whip up the simple creamy dressing and dig in! Your family and friends will appreciate the light and crunchy side dish that will go with just about any protein. Let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below. Also, take a photo and tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood, so we can check it out!
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad with Bacon (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 6 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 medium bunch of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- To make the dressing, place all of the dressing ingredients in a pint jar or a 1 or 2 cup pyrex measuring cup. You want a container just wide enough for your immersion blender.
- Place the immersion blender at the bottom of the container. Start blending while holding the blender at the bottom. Don’t move the blender from the bottom until the sauce begins to emulsify and thicken. Once it starts to thicken, slowly move the immersion blender to the top until all of the oil is completely mixed in. It should result in a thick, mayo-like sauce.
- Refrigerate sauce while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Cook and crumble bacon and prep other ingredients as noted. Place everything in a large bowl.
- Add dressing to the bowl and toss to mix. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This recipe can be made in advance. You can either mix the sauce in and refrigerate or keep the sauce separate and mix it in just before serving. Either way, the salad will last 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate provided for those following a Ketogenic or low-carb diet. See our full nutrition information disclosure here.