Do you struggle with lunch ideas, or are you looking for ways to up your lunch game? It’s easy to get in a rut with lunch, or resort to the same old salad every single weekday. Here’s a fresh idea – chicken salad stuffed avocados. Not only are they super healthy, they are also packed with good fats which will help you to prevent that afternoon wall feeling. Do you get that sometimes – where you crave something salty or sweet or want an afternoon coffee just to get through the day?
I’ve been adding more good fat, like avocado, to my lunches. Good fats take longer for your body to burn, so they are like a slow burning fuel. On this topic of avoiding the afternoon wall, I’ve also started adding a small snack to my day at about 2 or 3pm. It usually consists of something like carrots dipped in a nut butter or a small smoothie with greens, berries, collagen, coconut milk and water. I can prep both the night before and then have them handy for the next day.
Back to work week lunches that are worth getting excited about. These chicken salad stuffed avocados will make you eager for lunch. The mayo used for the chicken salad is from Primal Kitchen, and it is made with avocado oil and cage free eggs. There is no sugar, gluten, dairy, soy or canola oil. It’s the bomb, and they have a chipotle lime mayo that Justin and I have found many things to put it on, like our paleo fish tacos and coleslaw. Holy yum!
Check out the texture of the chicken salad though. It is creamy with a little bit of crunch from the celery, onion, and pickles.
We used crockpot shredded chicken for the chicken salad because we love the texture and how well it mixes with the other ingredients. You could use a rotisserie chicken or other leftover chicken you have on hand as well. Do what makes this easy for you to throw together. For the crockpot chicken you just put about a pound of chicken breasts or thighs in your crockpot with about a cup of bone broth or a jar of salsa and let it cook for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high. After the chicken is done, take it on out and shred away. Then, mix the chicken salad up and get to stuffing your avocados. We also put our chicken salad stuffed avocados on a big bed of greens because why not get more greens in, right?!
Try out these chicken salad stuffed avocados, and let us know what you think by leaving a comment below and adding a rating. Also, take a picture and tag it on Instagram @realsimplegood so we can check it out!
Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados (Paleo, Whole30 + Dairy-Free)
- 2 avocados, - halved and pits removed
- 1.5 cups shredded chicken, (or other leftover chicken)
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 stalk celery, - chopped
- 1/4 cup pickles, - diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, - diced
- 1/4 cup almonds or pecans, - chopped (optional for garnish)
- Lots of greens, - go wild and place your chicken salad stuffed avocados on a huge bed of greens
- Cut your avocados in half and remove the pits. Set your avocado halves aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine your shredded or other leftover chicken with your mayo, celery, pickles and onion. Stir until the mayo in evenly worked into the other ingredients.
- Fill up your avocado halves with your chicken salad mixture. Sprinkle your chopped almonds or pecans on top as a garnish if you'd like.
- Alright, go for it! Pile the greens on your plate and then top with your artfully crafted chicken salad stuffed avocados. Get to eating and feeling superbly nourished!