This Thai inspired chicken coconut curry soup is packed with vegetables and a creamy, savory curry broth. Filling, healthy and delicious, you’ll fall in love with the depth of flavors and textures. It’s a Paleo, Whole30 and low carb soup too!
Easily add that authentic curry flavor
Our trick for adding the depth of curry flavor to this soup without a bunch of different ingredients is to use Thai Kitchen curry paste. We’ve found it at several different grocery stores and it’s also available at Thrive Market. It has clean ingredients, no added sugar and adds so much flavor!
All the veggies are a must
The first time we tried this recipe, we made it with only chicken and mushrooms. The flavor was good, but let’s just say it was a bit “meh”. So, we decided to add eggplant and bell pepper to “fill up” this soup and make it more stew-like. Now you’ll get a mix of chicken, veggies and broth in each bite, it’s so good!
What else do you put in chicken coconut curry soup?
A few other key ingredients that really flavor this soup are lemongrass and lime. The lemongrass has a pretty thick outer stalk, so be sure to remove that and just use the inner, softer stalk for the recipe. Also, be sure to really chop it up well, you want it to form almost a paste. For the lime, you can add more or less to adjust the flavor to your liking.
Some other Thai inspired recipes to try:
- Coconut Lime Chicken
- Sweet Potato Chicken Pad Thai
- Easy Curry Beef Bowls
- Thai Basil Chicken Bowls
- Lemongrass Chicken
Your turn to try this chicken coconut curry soup
If you’re looking for a cozy, flavorful soup to try, give this chicken coconut curry soup a shot! You’ll enjoy the leftovers for lunches or an easy dinner another night, and you’ll love the savory curry flavors. Leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram! Tag us @realsimplegood, and give us a follow if you don’t already, we’d love to stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Chicken Coconut Curry Soup (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated on a microplane
- 2 stalks lemongrass, rough outer edges removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice + zest of one lime, (or 8-10 kaffir lime leaves)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans coconut milk, (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, cut into cubes
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- Chopped cilantro, for topping (optional)
- Prepare shallot, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and lime zest as noted.
- It a stockpot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Once hot, add shallot, garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes, until the shallot starts to soften.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, lime juice and zest. Bring to a quick boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8–10 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, prepare remaining ingredients as noted.
- Add chicken to the pot and return it to a boil. Add mushrooms, eggplant and bell pepper. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and veggies have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in fish sauce and curry paste. Stir to incorporate and simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and serve topped with chopped cilantro.