Chicken is easy, but it can also get boring. We are always looking for easy, but exciting ways to eat chicken, and this lemongrass chicken is exactly that! You’ll have a flavorful and satisfying Paleo, Whole30 + Keto dinner ready to go in about 25 minutes.
What is lemongrass and where do I find it?
Lemongrass is a grass…it has a long thick stem and a grassy top, although when you find it at the grocery store it will mostly just look like a long stalk. It’s an herb and can be used in various ways. When you use it for cooking, you remove the tough outer shell and just cook with the inner stalk. We either mince it on a microplane or use it in a sauce/marinade made in our food processor like in this lemongrass chicken. We are able to find lemongrass locally at Whole Foods and suspect other health food stores probably carry it as well in the produce section.
Making the sauce
We use our food processor to make the sauce for this lemongrass chicken. Given that lemongrass is pretty hearty, you will find that this sauce doesn’t really turn into a completely smooth, runny sauce. It will be a bit more of a chunkier and thicker paste. And when you cook it up, those bits get a little crispy and all kinds of delicious!
Can I use chicken breast instead for this lemongrass chicken?
Someone always asks…and the answer is yes…but why would you want to!?! Haha! Just kidding…kind of. We prefer thighs because they are fattier and therefore have more flavor…but hey if you’re not a fan, then yes go for chicken breasts instead. Just note you will have to cook for longer than recommended in the recipe below until the breasts are fully cooked.
Some other chicken recipes
Your turn to try our lemongrass chicken
Ready for a quick and easy dinner? This lemongrass chicken is perfect for a weeknight dinner and will have your tastebuds dancing! Leave a comment below, and let us know know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood. Make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already. We’d love to stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Lemongrass Chicken (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
For the sauce:
- 3 lemongrass stalks, tough outer layers removed and roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, outer layer removed and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, (about 2 limes)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
For the rest:
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cups cauliflower rice, or sub white rice
- Chopped cilantro
- To make the sauce, add all of the sauce ingredients to a food processor (or high-powered blender) and process until mostly smooth. Scrape sides down as needed; it will form a thick paste.
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish and cover it with the sauce. Flip the chicken over to get the sauce on both sides.
- If you have time, cover the dish and place the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour or longer.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the avocado oil. Once the skillet is hot and shimmering, add the chicken thighs.
- Cook without disturbing for 6-7 minutes and then flip and cook for another 6-7 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove and serve with desired side and top with chopped cilantro. If you are serving with cauliflower rice, you can cook the rice in the same pan as the chicken to absorb some of the flavors.
Has anyone ever made this recipe with lemongrass paste, instead of lemongrass stocks?