Why you’ll like this easy dutch oven shredded chicken
- It’s a simple recipe that requires only 5 minutes of prep and makes a big batch of juicy shredded chicken.
- The tender chicken can be sliced with a fork and it’s cooked in a perfectly seasoned, juicy broth.
- It’s a super versatile recipe that you can use for anything from salads to sandwiches and everything in between.
- Perfect for meal prep, just pop it in the oven on a weekend and let the oven do all the work!
Related –> 10 Minute Prep Dutch Oven Pulled Pork
How to make pulled chicken in a dutch oven (step-by-step)
Recipe tips for slow cooking chicken in the oven
- Don’t cook the chicken at a higher temperature than 300° Fahrenheit. You need to cook it slow and low for the most tender and shreddable results.
- Keep the dutch oven covered for the whole cooking time. If you don’t, the broth will evaporate and the chicken will dry out.
- This recipe is freezer-friendly. You can store it in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- The chicken is so tender after cooking you can easily shred it with some tongs or a fork. Shred it to whatever texture you prefer.
- You can substitute chicken breasts, but chicken thighs are best for this recipe. They have a higher fat content so they remain juicy and tender. I personally think they have more flavor too!
- Instead of broth, you can use another liquid like apple juice, beer, or soda.
- We love to add a little BBQ sauce or hot sauce to the shredded chicken to spice things up a bit.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe if you want to make an even larger batch.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Don’t forget to leave a quick star rating and review below, we read every comment and truly appreciate your feedback. Also, be sure to browse the rest of our healthy chicken recipes to find some other favorites too!
Juicy, Shredded Dutch Oven Pulled Chicken
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, (or breasts)
- 1 cup chicken broth, (or water)
- Dutch oven
- Adjust oven racks to accommodate your dutch oven if necessary. Preheat oven to 300° Fahrenheit.
- Make the seasoning by adding all of the seasoning ingredients to a small bowl or ramekin and mixing well.
- Add the chicken to the dutch oven. Pour the seasoning over the chicken and flip it a couple of times to coat both sides.
- Pour in the chicken broth around the chicken.
- Place the cover on the dutch oven. Transfer to the oven to bake for 3 hours, or until the chicken is easily shredded with a fork.
- Once the chicken is done, carefully remove the dutch oven from the oven. Shred the chicken with two forks right in the dutch oven, mixing it with the juices in the pot. Serve immediately or store for later.
- You can use either chicken thighs or breasts for this recipe and follow the same cooking instructions.
- Nutrition facts are per serving and are an estimate provided for those following a Ketogenic or low-carb diet. See our full nutrition information disclosure here.