Ready for a weeknight primed Instant Pot or Slow Cooker recipe? This Paleo + Whole30 easy harissa chicken recipe is the perfect way to spice up your work week and get dinner on the table with ease on a busy day. This chicken recipe is not only perfect for an easy weeknight dinner though. It’s also a great meal prep recipe!
What is harissa?
Harissa is a chili paste that’s got a bit of kick and spice to it. It is an aromatic paste used in African and Middle-Eastern cuisine. Most often it is made with various chili peppers, spices and olive oil. The spices can include things like garlic, caraway, coriander, cumin and sometimes mint. Tomatoes might be used as well depending on the brand.
Where do you find harissa paste?
When you look for it at the grocery store, you’ll find it in the ethnic cooking aisle. Health food stores like Whole Foods, New Seasons and Natural Grocers have options as well. We’ve gotten some from Trader Joe’s too, which is pretty clean although it does use sunflower oil rather than olive oil, and we’d prefer one with olive oil over a seed/vegetable oil. Make sure to take a look at the ingredients to check for added sugar, preservatives and other additives.
Perfect for meal prep or a busy weeknight
The prep work is minimal for this easy harissa chicken recipe, which makes it ideal for a busy weeknight, especially if you plan to throw it in your slow cooker before you head off to work. You can also make the creamy herb sauce in advance, and store it in the fridge to have on hand when you’re ready to enjoy the meal. This chicken recipe is also easily doubled if you need to serve a crowd or want extra leftovers on hand for lunches.
Some other slow cooker + instant pot recipes
- Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- Mexican Shredded Beef (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto) Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- BBQ Pulled Chicken – Slow Cooker or Instant Pot (Paleo + Whole30)
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joe’s (Paleo + Whole30)
- Beef Barbacoa (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto) Slow Cooker or Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken (Paleo + Whole30)
Your turn to try our easy harissa chicken recipe
Whether you need a quick and easy dinner or want to get ahead for the upcoming week with some meal prep, this easy harissa chicken recipe is an easy favorite! Leave a comment below, and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, so we can check it out. We love to see what you’re cooking! And make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already – let’s stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Easy Harissa Chicken Recipe (Paleo + Whole30) – Instant Pot + Slow Cooker
For the chicken:
- 2 bell peppers, chopped into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp harissa sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
Ideas for serving:
- cauliflower rice, (or sub white rice if not doing a Whole30)
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- lemon wedges
- creamy herb sauce, (from our Whole30 Sauces post)
- Prep bell pepper and garlic as noted.
- Place all of the chicken ingredients in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker. In your Instant Pot, close the pressure valve, press "Manual" (or "High Pressure") and cook for 15 minutes with a natural release or 20 minutes with a quick release of the pressure. In your Slow Cooker, cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Once done, shred with two forks and serve with cauliflower or white rice, fresh cilantro, capers, chopped cilantro and/or our creamy herb sauce.
Hi, I never know how long homemade sauces stay safe in the fridge! How many days is the creamy one mentioned here good for and how do you store it? Thanks!
For that specific sauce it will last 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
I love a recipe I can prep and forget about and this is one of those. Soooooo flavorful and yummy and super easy to make! Love it with some basmati rice.
We’re so happy you love this one!! Thanks so much for giving it a try! 🙂