The Instant Pot is a real time and lifesaver for us. This Paleo + Whole30 Instant Pot pot roast (say that five times fast!) is a favorite of ours, especially once the weather turns chilly! It’s a hearty, cozy and healthy dinner the whole family will love!
But First, Sauté
When we are making a roast in our Instant Pot, we like to sauté the beef first. Browning the meat first really locks the juices in and makes the roast much more tender once it is done cooking. This Instant Pot pot roast is juicy, tender and it tastes like it took much longer to make. We typically make about a three pound roast, and sautéing for about 3-4 minutes per side does the trick for browning the meat, and then actual cooking time in the Instant Pot for that size of roast is 60 minutes. There are some tips for cooking larger roasts in the recipe card below.
Sweet Potato Or Squash
This Instant Pot pot roast recipe calls for sweet potato, but you have some alternate options. You can do white or orange sweet potatoes (you could even do white potatoes if you eat them), and you can also use your favorite winter squash if you avoid potatoes. I don’t digest potatoes well, so we have made this Instant Pot pot roast with butternut and delicata squash in the past and it works just as well.
Go For The Fresh Herbs
Fresh rosemary and thyme are optional ingredients in this Instant Pot pot roast recipe, and we highly recommend them! Fresh herbs are a total game changer for flavor enhancement, and if you don’t already cook with them, definitely give it a try! Rosemary and thyme are a couple of our favorites, and we are also often using fresh oregano and basil as well. What are your favorites?
Some Other Instant Pot + Slow Cooker Recipes To Try
Your Turn To Try Our Instant Pot Pot Roast
Time to pull out your Instant Pot and make this Instant Pot pot roast. It’s a great large dinner to make Sunday night and then have the leftovers in the fridge for easy re-heating during the busy work week! Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram! Tag us @realsimplegood, and give us a follow if you don’t already. We’d love to stay connected!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Instant Pot Pot Roast (Paleo + Whole30)
For the seasoning:
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground pepper
For the pot roast:
- 3 lbs beef pot roast, (or sub chuck or shoulder roast)
- 1 tbsp ghee, (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, (or sub equivalent amount of white potato or winter squash)
- 1 onion, chopped into thick pieces
- 6 celery ribs, chopped into thick chunks
- 6 carrots, chopped into thick rounds
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, removed from stems and finely chopped, (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, removed from stems and finely chopped, (optional)
- Make the seasoning mix by mixing all the ingredients in a small bowl. Generously season the roast on all sides. If you have leftover seasoning, add to top of veggies in Step 3 below.
- Prep potato, onion, celery, carrots and fresh herbs as noted.
- Pour in beef broth. Place potatoes, onion, celery and carrots over the top of the roast. Add in fresh herbs (optional) and any leftover seasoning.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and close the pressure valve. Press "manual" button (or "pressure cook" button) and set the time for 60 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then carefully manually release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the veggies from the pot with a slotted spoon. Shred beef in the Instant Pot with 2 forks. Serve beef with veggies and spoon some sauce from the pot over the meat when serving.