This chicken pot pie soup is creamy, thick and filled with everything you’d want in a chicken pot pie. A healthy version that’s Paleo, Whole30 and dairy-free, this soup uses all real food ingredients to bring you a classic comfort food dish in a bowl.
An easy soup from scratch
You might think that making a chicken pot pie soup from scratch is a chore, but this recipe is really pretty easy. Since potatoes are used to get the creamy consistency, you just need to get those boiling and then prepare all of the other ingredients. Once the potatoes are ready, you’ll just cook up a few more ingredients, throw everything together for a quick simmer, and you’ll be digging into a hearty soup!
What kind of chicken do you use in chicken pot pie soup?
We love using chicken thighs in savory dishes because they add more depth of flavor than breasts. For this recipe, you can use any pre-cooked chicken you have. Just go with whatever is easiest for you. A shredded rotisserie chicken would work just fine! You could also bake chicken thighs or breasts in the oven and cube or shred them for this recipe.
The leftovers are even better
The first time I made this soup, I said to Erica “I bet this will be even better as leftovers”. You know those recipes that just get better after sitting for a couple of days in the fridge? This is definitely one of them. So, if you like to meal prep or are looking for a good soup to make a big batch of – you found it.
Some other easy (and healthy) comfort food recipes
- Creamy Chicken Alfredo
- Potsticker Noodle Bowls
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Easy Zucchini Casserole
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Creamy Garlic Chicken Skillet
Your turn to try this chicken pot pie soup
Get ready to dig your spoon into a thick and hearty soup! Give this chicken pot pie recipe a try and enjoy the leftovers as they get better in the fridge. Leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood. Make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already. We’d love to stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Paleo, Whole30 + Dairy-free)
- 1 lb small gold potatoes, quartered
- 4 cups chicken stock (divided)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp ghee, (or sub avocado oil)
- 4 cups cooked chicken, (shredded or cubed)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, (omit for Whole30)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, or sub 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, or sub 1/2 tsp dried
- Prep potatoes as noted. Place potatoes in a large pot or dutch oven and pour in 3 cups of the chicken stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, or until fork tender.
- When the potatoes are finished, carefully transfer the potatoes to a high-powered blender with a slotted spoon. Carefully pour the chicken broth into the blender. Add the coconut milk also. Blend until creamy and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prep the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and mushrooms as noted. Gather remaining ingredients to have them ready.
- In the same pot that the potatoes cooked in, heat ghee over medium heat. Once melted, add in carrots, celery and onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add minced garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in remaining 1 cup of chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze the pan.
- Next, add in the potato mixture and stir to mix. Add in the peas, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, sage and thyme. Stir to mix and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Ladle into bowls and serve.