I can eat soup all year long, but it is especially comforting in the Fall and Winter when it’s chilly outside. This Vegan, Paleo + Whole30 carrot ginger soup is super velvety and creamy, all while being dairy-free. It is made with coconut milk, fresh carrots, ginger and some seasonings. We topped with it with an optional dairy-free tzatziki sauce. Make this healthy carrot ginger soup in your Instant Pot for an easy lunch or dinner!
Save Time With The Instant Pot
Since this recipe has no meat in it, the cooking time is real quick! The most labor intensive part of this carrot ginger soup recipe is prepping the ingredients on the front end. You’ll save lots of time cooking the soup in your Instant Pot. You’ll start by sautéing your onion and then ginger and thyme too. Once the pot is seasoned, you’ll pressure cook the rest of the ingredients. It will only take you about 25 minutes in total – including the sautéing and the time it takes for the pressure to build up in your Instant Pot.
Just Add Some Turmeric
You’ve probably heard by now that turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It’s been used for a very long time in cooking and medicinally around the world, tracing back to India. There are a couple of posts – one from PBS about the history and benefits of turmeric and another from Dr. Axe about the benefits of turmeric as medicine. We like to add it whenever we can to get that extra superfood boost into our day. Some other recipes that use turmeric that you might try are this One Pan Turmeric Chicken Skillet, Turmeric Maple Roasted Beets + Carrots and Pumpkin Turmeric Latte.
Optional Sauce Topping
If you are a fan of tzatziki sauce, you’re going to love this dairy-free version! It is an optional topping for this carrot ginger soup, but one that you will really enjoy! The cool, creamy sauce combined with the velvety soup is like a dream. We made it dairy-free by using coconut yogurt. The brand we used for this recipe was COYO. We’ve also tried an almond milk based yogurt from Kite Hill that was similar in taste and texture that could also be used in this carrot ginger soup. Give it a try! You can use the leftovers to go with our Greek meatballs!
Some Other Soups To Try
Your Turn To Try Our Carrot Ginger Soup
It’s Fall and time to start making all the cozy, comfort foods like this healthy carrot ginger soup! Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood and give us a follow, so we can stay connected!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Carrot Ginger Soup (Vegan, Paleo + Whole30) Instant Pot
For the soup:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated on a microplane
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 5 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp lemon zest , (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, (about 1/2 lemon)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk, (13.5 oz)
- Sea salt and pepper
For the sauce (optional):
- 1/2 english cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt, (or sub 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk and 1/2 cup mayo)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
Additional toppings (optional):
- Chopped fresh thyme
- Toasted nuts or seeds
- Lemon zest
- For the soup, prep onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, carrots and lemon zest as noted.
- Press the "Saute" button on the Instant Pot and add coconut oil. Once melted, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and thyme and saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off the Saute setting and add the carrots, turmeric and broth. Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and close the pressure valve. Press the “Manual” button or "Pressure Cook" and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the sauce. Peel and cube the cucumber and squeeze the chunks to get rid of any excess liquid (this will help to prevent the sauce from too getting watery). Place the cucumber and all other sauce ingredients into the food processor. Process into a smooth consistency. Place in a container and refrigerate until served.
- When the soup is done cooking, do a quick pressure release. Blend the contents of the Instant Pot to a smooth consistency with an immersion blender (or carefully transfer contents to a blender and blend).
- Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Ladle into bowls and add in some of the sauce. Top with optional toppings as desired and serve.