This easy DIY chicken breakfast sausage recipe with an easy homemade seasoning is a flavorful, healthy way to start the day!
Check out all of our healthy breakfast recipes!
Ingredients for a Simple Chicken Breakfast Sausage Recipe
We love the basic ingredients in this recipe! Just some ground chicken and basic seasonings you’ll have in your spice drawer. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Ground chicken (ground turkey or pork work, too)
- Ground sage
- Sea salt
- Ground pepper
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Paprika (optional)
How to Make Chicken Breakfast Sausage
In addition to having simple ingredients, making this recipe is super easy as well! Here’s what you’ll do.
- Add ground chicken and seasoning mixture to a bowl
- Shape the sausage into patties
- Cook in a pan on the stove – we love using a cast iron pan
- Serve them up and enjoy
Tips for Making Homemade Chicken Breakfast Sausage Patties
Since ground chicken (or turkey) is finely ground, it tends to stick to your hands a lot.
You can’t completely prevent this, but here are some tips to make it manageable:
- Don’t over-mix the chicken. You want to just get all of the ingredients incorporated into the chicken and then stop.
- You can mix the chicken with an oil covered wooden spoon or spatula to prevent sticking.
- Coat your hands in oil before mixing the chicken and forming the patties. Re-apply oil as needed.
- To help with #3, I like to keep a clean paper towel and jar of oil next to me when I’m forming the patties. That way, I can use the paper towel to pick up the jar and add more to my hands when needed without getting raw chicken everywhere.
We Love Chicken Breakfast Sausage for Meal Prep
This chicken breakfast sausage is great for meal prep! Here are some options to prep and store them:
- The patties can be cooked and frozen for 6 months. We recommend freezing the sausage in the portions you’ll want to eat. Just thaw, reheat and eat!
- You can prep the sausage with the seasoning mixture and freeze it to cook later. Either keep it as bulk sausage or form it into patties before freezing for speedy cooking after you defrost it!
- Simply cook the sausage over the weekend to use for breakfast or other meals during the week. Store in an airtight container for up to one week in the fridge.
Want more meal prep inspo? Check out all of our meal prep recipes!
Breakfast Casseroles That Use Breakfast Sausage
Here are some of our favorite recipes that would work great with this chicken breakfast sausage.
Your Turn to Make Our Homemade Chicken Breakfast Sausage
Whether you’re meal prepping or just making a delicious breakfast for your family, get this breakfast sausage recipe on the menu! The whole family (toddlers included) will love this simple, flavorful protein.
And if you give it a try, make sure to come back and share how it went! Tag us in your pics on Instagram at @realsimplegood, so we can check it out! We love to see what you’re cooking up!
Easy (15-Minute!) Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb ground chicken, (or turkey works too)
- 1.5 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika, (optional)
- Place the ground chicken in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix the seasonings together in a separate bowl or ramekin.
- Pour the seasonings in with the chicken and mix it together well with your hands. Make sure the seasonings are evenly incorporated throughout the chicken but don't over mix.
- Shape the sausage into 4-6 patties.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add in the sausage to cook.
- Cook about 5 minutes per side, until the sausage is cooked through the center.
- Serve and enjoy.