If you’ve been missing french fries on a Keto or low-carb diet, we’ve got you covered! These jicama fries are just like the real thing — crispy, salty, and so satisfying. Serve them alongside your favorite dipping sauce for an easy side dish that everyone will love. Oven and Air Fryer cooking instructions included.
How to Get Crispy Jicama Fries
Two words – air fryer.
If you have an air fryer, use it for this recipe. If you don’t, you can still bake them in the oven for similar results but the air fryer helps dry the jicama out and gives the fries an extra crispy texture.
Also, you need to boil the jicama before baking or air frying it. This helps to cook the jicama a bit before you bake or air fry it and allows you to get it perfectly cooked through without burning it.
How to Make Jicama Fries in the Air Fryer
If you use the air fryer for this recipe, here are a few tips:
- Cut the fries into the same size for even cooking (as much as possible, it won’t be perfect).
- Spread the fries out in a single layer in the basket, leaving a little space between each fry. You may need to cook in batches.
- Toss the fries halfway for even cooking.
- Watch the fries carefully for the last 10 minutes or so. Pull them out as soon as they are cooked through and crispy but not too charred on the outsides.
Tips for Peeling Jicama
You do need to peel the outer skin off of jicama before you enjoy it, which can seem a little daunting. Here is the best way to do it:
- Carefully cut off the ends of the jicama.
- Placing one flat edge down, use a knife and work from top to bottom to “peel” off a strip of the rough outer skin.
- Continue all the way around the jicama until all the skin is removed.
Don’t be scared, it’s really not too bad. Here is a video that does a great job of breaking down how to peel and cut jicama.
Pairing Suggestions for these Keto Jicama Fries
Here are some main dishes that would go perfectly with these crispy fries:
And don’t forget the sauce! We love dipping these in some creamy Chipotle Aioli.
Your Turn To Try This Low Carb Fry Recipe
Making burgers or steak or chicken or just about anything…add these jicama fries as a healthy, low carb side dish! The whole family will enjoy them!
If you try them, leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re cooking!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Extra Crispy Jicama Fries (Oven or Air Fryer)
- Place about 4 cups of water in a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
- While water is heating up, carefully peel jicama using a pairing knife and chop into 1/4″ matchsticks. Once boiling, add jicama fries to pot, cover and boil for 10 minutes.
- Make seasoning mix by combining dry seasonings in a small bowl or ramekin. Set aside.
- Once the jicama has boiled for 10 minutes, remove the pot from heat and drain the water through a strainer. Allow the jicama to air dry for a few minutes.
- Place the jicama in a bowl and drizzle with avocado oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle on the seasoning mixture and toss to coat again. Spread out on baking sheet in a single layer and place in the oven.
If cooking in the oven:
- Follow steps 1-5 above. Preheat oven to 425° F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Spread the fries out on the pan, spreading them out as evenly in a single layer as possible.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once done, remove and serve.
If cooking in the air fryer:
- Follow steps 1-5 above. Preheat air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit if yours preheats.
- Add the seasoned fries to your air fryer basket, spreading them out evenly in a single layer. You may need to cook in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry for 20-25 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes. Watch the fries carefully for the last 10 minutes to avoid burning. Remove them when they are cooked through and crispy but not too charred on the outsides.