5 reasons to love this recipe
- No more boring chicken! This buttery cast iron skillet chicken breast is juicy and perfectly browned and seasoned.
- Easy, easy, easy! Just season the chicken, sear it and toss it in the oven!
- You can make it a healthy one pan meal by tossing in some veggies to bake in the oven too.
- The ghee (or butter) helps the chicken brown the outside and coats it with an amazing buttery sauce.
- Ready in around 30 minutes, you’ll want to put this chicken dinner on repeat!
Recommended sides for this chicken
- With your choice from this healthy summer salad roundup
- Some roasted veggies like asparagus or broccoli, just toss them in with the chicken!
- How about some rice, cauliflower rice or noodles? You can spoon the buttery sauce over everything.
- With some garlic and sage brown butter mushrooms
- Either air fryer baked potatoes or air fryer potato wedges
Tips from an expert home chef
- When you sear the chicken, don’t move it around at all. Let is sit in the skillet and develop that perfectly browned look.
- Ghee has a higher smoke point than butter, so that’s what I prefer to use for this recipe. It still has the same great buttery flavor as regular butter.
- The chicken seasoning provided is excellent, but you can substitute any chicken seasoning mix you prefer.
- Don’t forget to spoon some of the buttery juices from the pan over the chicken breasts for serving.
More one pan chicken dinners
- One Pan Baked Chicken and Broccoli
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Skillet
- Healthy, Oven Baked Chicken Caprese
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
If you try this recipe, please share some love!
Don’t forget to leave a quick star rating and review below, we read every comment and truly appreciate your feedback. Also, be sure to browse the rest of our easy chicken dinner recipes to find some other favorites too!
Juicy, Buttery Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast
- 4 chicken breasts, about 2 lbs
- 5 tbsp ghee, or butter
For the chicken seasoning:
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Make the seasoning by combining all of the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and mixing well.
- Season the chicken breasts on all sides with the seasoning mix.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add ghee. Once the pan is hot and shimmering, add the seasoned chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes without disturbing. Then, flip the chicken and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and place 1 tbsp of ghee (or butter) on top of each piece of chicken.
- Carefully transfer the chicken to the preheated oven. Bake the chicken breasts in the oven for 15-25 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165° Fahrenheit. Note: We recommend using an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken for this recipe. Sizes of chicken breasts vary widely and smaller breasts will be fully cooked in around 15 minutes and larger breasts may take the full 25 minutes.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, carefully remove it from the oven. Spoon some of the buttery juices from the pan over the chicken for serving.